Use the food processor to make 4 pie crusts at a time. Place the crusts you are not using in the freezer and you’ll be able to pull one out for a quick quiche or fast dessert after work. It takes 10 minutes to make crusts this way.
Ingredients (for 4 crusts)
4 cups of flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 pound (4 sticks) of cold, unsalted butter
1/4-1/2 cup cold water
- Scoop 1 cup of flour from the flour bin. Don’t pack the flour in. Use the back of a knife to scrape excess flour back into the bin and then pour the flour into the bowl of a food processor. Repeat 3 more times until you have 4 cups of flour.
- Add salt and pulse until well blended.
- Cut a stick of butter into 16 pieces. Add it to the bowl and pulse until well distributed. Repeat 3 more times, until you use up all the butter. Mixture should ressemble cornmeal.
- Add 1/4 cup of cold water to the bowl and process until the mixture forms a dough. Add more water if the dough is dry (up to another 1/4 cup). Stop pulsing as soon as the dough comes together.
- Pour dough onto a lightly floured surface, flatten and divide it into 4 equal parts.
- Wrap each section in wax paper and let it rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Take out the crust you need for your recipe and put the others into a freezer bag where you can store them for a month.